Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Classical Archaeology and Art History Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Articles 1 - 14 of 14

Full-Text Articles in Classical Archaeology and Art History

Tiberias: Glass Finds And Production Debris, Yael Gorin-Rosen Dec 2024

Tiberias: Glass Finds And Production Debris, Yael Gorin-Rosen

Qadum: Journal of Excavation Reports from Israel

Around 300 glass fragments, along with glass industry waste, were found in the Tiberias excavation. About half were diagnostic and represented several periods: Early Roman, Late Roman to early Byzantine, Byzantine to late Byzantine and Early Islamic. Nine vessels and a stirring rod are illustrated and discussed, while others are mentioned in the text. The glass artifacts discovered during the excavation correspond to well-known types from Tiberias and its surrounding areas, as well as from a broader distribution. Most were likely produced locally, as evidenced by workshop debris found in this and other excavations in Tiberias, and supported by written …


Tiberias: Remains Of An Early Islamic Buff Ware Pottery Workshop, Yardenna Alexandre Dec 2024

Tiberias: Remains Of An Early Islamic Buff Ware Pottery Workshop, Yardenna Alexandre

Qadum: Journal of Excavation Reports from Israel

A small four-square excavation carried out in an area outside the Ottoman city wall of Tiberias exposed the remains of an Early Islamic pottery workshop, built over earlier Byzantine-period walls. The building remains included parts of small rooms, pits and a tiled-floor installation. The overlying accumulations and thick ashy layers contained numerous sherds of Buff Ware vessels, including glazed bowls, partially fired plain vessels, decorated sherds, clay molds, kiln bars and basalt polishing tools. All these finds indicate that the site was an Abbasid–Fatimid period Buff Ware pottery workshop.


Ha-Tayassim Road, Tel Aviv, A-3764/2002, A-4683/2003, Yoav Arbel Jan 2003

Ha-Tayassim Road, Tel Aviv, A-3764/2002, A-4683/2003, Yoav Arbel

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 2002 and 2003, excavations were conducted at a 5.5 dunams plot between Ha-Tayassim Road and Tslilei Hanina Street (Permit Nos. A-3764, A-4683; map ref. 182517-58/661650-81), under the direction of Giora Parnos. The site is located on a natural hill approximately 30 meters above sea level, on the third kurkar ridge of the central coastal plain. It is surrounded by fertile soil and lies near the main road connecting Jaffa and Jerusalem.


Tiberias A-5/1963, Adam Druks Jan 1963

Tiberias A-5/1963, Adam Druks

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In June–August 1963, an excavation was conducted in Tiberias (map ref. unknown), following the discovery of the remains of a basilica during the laying of the pipeline of the salty springs water. The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by A. Druks, with the assistance of V. Tzafiris, Y. Sokolovsky, Sh. Kiriti (foreman) and M. Feist (surveying).


Deir ‘Asfin 2-1959, Joseph Naveh Jan 1959

Deir ‘Asfin 2-1959, Joseph Naveh

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In January 1959, a salvage excavation was conducted at Deir ‘Asfin (map ref. 1975/6843). The excavation was directed by J. Naveh with the assistance of Sh. Amit (surveying). The remains of walls built of ashlar stones and two floors that were dated to the Early Islamic period were exposed. Based on the information in the excavation file, coins, glass and pottery dating to the Byzantine period were found.


Tiberias, The Area Of The Tomb Of Maimonides 26/1956, Bezalel Ravni Jan 1955

Tiberias, The Area Of The Tomb Of Maimonides 26/1956, Bezalel Ravni

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

From November 1955 to January 1956, an excavation was conducted in Tiberias, in the area of the tomb attributed to Maimonides (map ref. unknown), under the direction of B. Ravni. The excavation was carried out following the discovery of the remains of an ancient cemetery during development works. Three groups of tombs were exposed, as well as a number of individual tombs.


Tel Kinrot 4/1954, Bezalel Ravni Jan 1954

Tel Kinrot 4/1954, Bezalel Ravni

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 1954, a trial excavation was conducted in Tel Kinrot (map ref. 2504/7523), north and south of the Church of the Multiplication of the Loaves and Fish. The excavation was directed by B. Ravni. North of the church, only an aqueduct was found. South of the church, an aqueduct and a canal were discovered, as well as walls that were associated with two stages of the church and walls of later periods. The remains were date to the Byzantine and Early Islamic periods.


Tiberias 27/1952, Bezalel Ravni Jan 1952

Tiberias 27/1952, Bezalel Ravni

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In June–July 1952, a trial excavation was conducted on Ahva Street in Tiberias (map ref. 2509/7433), following the discovery of a tomb and the remains of a building during the digging of a channel and pits for the foundations of a house. The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by B. Ravni.


Tiberias Hot Springs 2/1952, Yariv Shapira Jan 1952

Tiberias Hot Springs 2/1952, Yariv Shapira

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In July 1952, a trial excavation was conducted in the southern spring of the Tiberias Hot Springs (map ref. unknown), following the discovery of a section of an ancient structure, containing arches and pools. The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by Y. Shapira.


Motza 17/1951, Yoseph Leibovich Jan 1951

Motza 17/1951, Yoseph Leibovich

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In March 1951, an excavation was conducted in Motza, near the main road leading from Jerusalem northwest (map ref. unknown). A rampart bordering the road was removed in the excavation. Along the road, mosaics were discerned.


Tiberias, Hamei Tveria Housing Complex 17/1950, Bezalel Ravni Jan 1950

Tiberias, Hamei Tveria Housing Complex 17/1950, Bezalel Ravni

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In December 1950, a salvage excavation was conducted near the 'Hamei Tveria' housing complex, west of the road (map ref. unknown). The excavation was directed by B. Ravni. A cesspit (1.7 × 3.5 m, depth 1.5–1.7 m) was found, the walls and plastered floor of which were exposed. Pottery that was dated to the Early Islamic period were discovered in the pit, some with a green glaze. Additional pottery sherds, that were dated by the excavator to the Late Islamic period, were found, some of which had a brown glaze and decorated with brown lines.


Kafr Kanna 22/1950, Joseph Lyumbrini Jan 1950

Kafr Kanna 22/1950, Joseph Lyumbrini

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 1950, an excavation was conducted in Kafr Kanna, in the village school yard (map ref. 232/739). The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by Father Joseph Lyumbrini of the Monastery of Terra Santa. The remains of a building were discovered, built of stones taken from an earlier structure that had been destroyed. The building was dated to the Early Islamic period.


Tiberias, Shikun Olim Alef 20/1950, Bezalel Ravni Jan 1950

Tiberias, Shikun Olim Alef 20/1950, Bezalel Ravni

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In October–November 1950, a salvage excavation was conducted in “Shikun Olim Alef” (the “Olim A” housing complex) in Tiberias (map ref. unknown), under the direction of B. Ravni. The excavation was carried out following the digging of pits for the buildings’ foundations. The remains of structures built of large basalt stones with a filling of small stones set in white plaster were discovered. The structures were dated by the excavator to the Early Islamic period, based on the pottery found inside them. A system of clay pipes was found in one of the pits. A single clay pipe and a …


Yafo 3/1948, 6/1949, Philip Langstaffe Ord Guy Jan 1948

Yafo 3/1948, 6/1949, Philip Langstaffe Ord Guy

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 1948 and 1949, excavations were conducted in Yafo, in the vicinity of St. Peter's Church, under the direction of P.L.O. Guy (map ref. 176/662). In 1948 the remains of a building were exposed, as well as millstones, many fragments of pottery vessels including lamps and pipes, and bronze rings, coins and an iron cannonball, apparently from the time of Napoleon. About 40 finds are registered in the National Treasures (pottery, metal, stone and glass vessels) most of which were dated to the Early Islamic period and the rest to the Hellenistic, Roman, Crusader and Ottoman periods. In 1949, 117 …