Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Classical Archaeology and Art History Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Articles 1 - 10 of 10

Full-Text Articles in Classical Archaeology and Art History

Kafr Kama: Building, Oil Press And Glass Industry From The Late Byzantine–Early Umayyad Periods And Remains From The Middle Bronze Age, Roman And Mamluk Periods / כפר כמא: מבנה, בית בד ותעשיית זכוכית מהתקופות הביזנטית המאוחרת–האומיית הקדומה ושרידים מהתקופות הברונזה התיכונה, הרומית והממלוכית, Omar Zidan May 2026

Kafr Kama: Building, Oil Press And Glass Industry From The Late Byzantine–Early Umayyad Periods And Remains From The Middle Bronze Age, Roman And Mamluk Periods / כפר כמא: מבנה, בית בד ותעשיית זכוכית מהתקופות הביזנטית המאוחרת–האומיית הקדומה ושרידים מהתקופות הברונזה התיכונה, הרומית והממלוכית, Omar Zidan

Qadum: Journal of Excavation Reports from Israel

A salvage excavation south of Kafr Kama revealed four occupational strata (IV–I). The two lowermost strata yielded meager architectural remains dating to the Middle Bronze Age (Stratum IV) and the Roman period (Stratum III), indicating early settlement at the site. Stratum II, which comprised two distinct occupational phases, yielded a building, an oil press and a glass-production furnace, along with glass-production debris, dating from the transition between the Byzantine and Umayyad periods. The site appears to have been abandoned during the late Umayyad period, with resettlement occurring in the Mamluk period, as indicated by a Mamluk-period refuse pit uncovered in …


Building Columbia, Lawrence Lane Dec 2017

Building Columbia, Lawrence Lane

Theses and Dissertations

This thesis analyzes the research from a project on the builders who helped build Columbia, South Carolina from 1890 to 1940, a dynamic time of growth as the city moved from post-Civil War recovery through industrialization and into modernization.1 Previous research of Columbia’s architectural history often focuses on the few architects with national recognition, like Robert Mills, the architect of the Washington Monument. Frequently omitted from the city’s architectural story are the lesser-known developers, builders, contractors, brick masons, and other tradesmen from inside and outside of Columbia who contributed to the shaping of the city by helping build vernacular architecture …


Kefar Gevirol A-1714/1990, Eran Shavit Jan 1990

Kefar Gevirol A-1714/1990, Eran Shavit

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In August 1990, a salvage excavation was conducted at Kefar Gevirol (map. ref. 1790/6445) under the direction of E. Shavit, following the discovery of architectural remains during construction activities. Several rooms belonging to a building dated to the Byzantine period were uncovered.


Tiberias, The Old City A-54/1965, Adam Druks Jan 1965

Tiberias, The Old City A-54/1965, Adam Druks

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 1965, a trial excavation was conducted in the Old City of Tiberias under the direction of A. Druks, prior to development works in the area (map ref. unknown). The remains of walls which were dated to the Early Islamic period were exposed, as well as numerous pottery fragments and coins. A stone-paved building with various installations, that was dated to the Crusader period, was partly exposed.


Ashqelon, The Marina 13/1958, John Hevesi Jan 1956

Ashqelon, The Marina 13/1958, John Hevesi

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 1956–1957, an excavation was conducted at the Ashqelon marina (map ref. 15855/62089). The excavation, carried out by the Ashqelon Museum on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by J. Hevesi. The excavated site is located on a hill c. 200 m from the beach and overlooks it, about 20 m west of the Roman Tomb. The remains of a complex of structures, comprising four construction phases, were exposed.


Kefar Sirqin 22/1952, Jacob Ory Jan 1952

Kefar Sirqin 22/1952, Jacob Ory

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In November 1952, a salvage excavation was conducted in the Kefar Sirqin, following the exposure of a Byzantine building during the construction of a residential neighborhood (the Beilinson neighborhood). The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by J. Ory.


Tiberias, Shikun Olim 25/1951, Bezalel Ravni Jan 1951

Tiberias, Shikun Olim 25/1951, Bezalel Ravni

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In November 1951, a trial excavation was conducted in the ‘Shikun Olim’ housing complex in Tiberias (map ref. unknown), following the discovery of a mosaic floor during the digging of a sewage channel east of the complex. The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by B. Ravni. The excavators noticed that the floor was incomplete and excavated further to the west to check for additional remains. The mosaic floor extended over two adjacent rooms, possibly further in rooms that were not excavated.


Ayelet Ha-Shahar 50/1950, 28/1951, Philip Langstaffe Ord Guy Jan 1950

Ayelet Ha-Shahar 50/1950, 28/1951, Philip Langstaffe Ord Guy

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 1950 and 1951 salvage excavations were conducted in Ayelet Ha-Shahar (Map ref. 2546/7690), following the exposal of a vertical shaft cover during foundation work south of the Kibbutz water tower. The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by P.L.O Guy and M. Dothan, with the assistance of A. Hiram (surveying). The shaft (Diam. 0.6 m, Depth c. 4 m) was paved with 11 clay sections (Diam. c. 0.6 m each), placed one on top of the other. The upper part of the shaft was found sealed by a dome-shaped lid, containing many loop …


Kafr Kanna 22/1950, Joseph Lyumbrini Jan 1950

Kafr Kanna 22/1950, Joseph Lyumbrini

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In 1950, an excavation was conducted in Kafr Kanna, in the village school yard (map ref. 232/739). The excavation, on behalf of the Department of Antiquities and Museums, was directed by Father Joseph Lyumbrini of the Monastery of Terra Santa. The remains of a building were discovered, built of stones taken from an earlier structure that had been destroyed. The building was dated to the Early Islamic period.


Haifa 36/1950, 3/1951, Moshe Prausnitz Jan 1950

Haifa 36/1950, 3/1951, Moshe Prausnitz

Favissa: Past Archaeological Excavation Reports

In October 1950 and January 1951, trial excavations were conducted in Haifa, following the laying of sewer pipes from Dolphin Street to the Hospital (map ref. unknown). The pipeline extended straight to the Haifa port seawall. The excavations, on behalf of the Department of Antiques and Museums, were directed by M. Prausnitz. Occupation layers that were dated to the Roman, Byzantine, Islamic, Crusader and Mamluk periods were exposed.