Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Law Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Women

Series

George Washington University Law School

Publication Year

Articles 1 - 4 of 4

Full-Text Articles in Law

The New Kinship, Naomi R. Cahn Jan 2012

The New Kinship, Naomi R. Cahn

GW Law Faculty Publications & Other Works

Over the past century, the Supreme Court has articulated numerous doctrines that protect family privacy. These doctrines are not, however, well-suited to the brave new world of families formed through donor eggs, sperm, and embryos. As the number of donor-conceived children born to same-sex and heterosexual couples and to single parents increases, and as these families develop connections to one another, the law has not yet adjusted. This Article provides an extensive mapping of these “donor-conceived family communities,” and it reaches two major conclusions that support the development of these new families. First, relational interests, the traditional focus in family …


The End Of Men Or The Rebirth Of Class? How Hanna Rosin Leaves Out The 1% & Family Law Fails The Other 99%, Naomi R. Cahn, June Carbone Jan 2012

The End Of Men Or The Rebirth Of Class? How Hanna Rosin Leaves Out The 1% & Family Law Fails The Other 99%, Naomi R. Cahn, June Carbone

GW Law Faculty Publications & Other Works

This article argues that much of what has been described as “the end of men” is in fact the recreation of class. Greater inequality among men and among women has resurrected class differences and changed the way men and women relate to each other and channel resources to their children. While women have in fact gained ground in the workplace and acquired greater ability to live, work, play and raise children without men, a mere relative move towards sex equality only masks the more fundamental changes occurring in American society and the continuing existence of patriarchy. First, the improved freedom …


Contraception: Securing Feminism’S Promise, Naomi R. Cahn, June Carbone Jan 2009

Contraception: Securing Feminism’S Promise, Naomi R. Cahn, June Carbone

GW Law Faculty Publications & Other Works

This paper traces the history of attempts to restrict contraception, the legal events securing widespread access to contraception and their importance to a generation of college-aged women, the short-lived nature of the consensus that produced them, and the potential of the issue to serve as a rallying point for a revitalized feminism. It explores the hypocrisy of a system that, whatever its values, makes reproductive autonomy readily available for the affluent and the sophisticated and increasingly beyond the reach of the most vulnerable. Finally, it considers the potential of contraception as a reframing device, capable of exposing the hypocrisy of …


The Many Faces Of Darlene Jespersen, Michael Selmi Jan 2007

The Many Faces Of Darlene Jespersen, Michael Selmi

GW Law Faculty Publications & Other Works

This essay was written for a symposium on the case Jespersen v. Harrah's Operating Co., in which Darlene Jespersen challenged Harrah's policy that required its female employees to wear makeup. In this essay, I explore the applicable case law, focusing specifically on the emerging law of sexual stereotyping to explain why the law was unwilling to recognize Jespersen's claim. In addition, I suggest that Jespersen's case is symptomatic of the way in which we have come to expect too much both from work and from courts. The workplace is typically not a place to express our identities and the fact …