Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Social and Behavioral Sciences Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Archaeological Anthropology

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Keyword
Publication Year

Articles 1 - 30 of 79

Full-Text Articles in Social and Behavioral Sciences

Gullah-Geechee Landscapes On Ossabaw Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp, Meredith Gilligan, Taylor Maxie Jan 2013

Gullah-Geechee Landscapes On Ossabaw Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp, Meredith Gilligan, Taylor Maxie

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

The North End Plantation on Ossabaw Island, Georgia (9CH1062) has been almost continually occupied since the 1760s. Although a large number of enslaved Africans (later Gullah-Geechee) resided there, the remains of three tabby duplexes are the only substantial evidence associated with them. This paper summarizes the results of two field seasons of landscape reconstruction that were aimed at identifying the locations of additional non-tabby cabins, historic plantation roadways, and adjacent yard areas associated with the cabins. In conjunction with historic aerial photographs, domestic and architectural artifacts recovered from an extensive systematic survey were used to generate artifact density contour maps ...


Additional Reconnaissance Survey Of The New Orleans Cemetery Area, Sapelo Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp Jul 2012

Additional Reconnaissance Survey Of The New Orleans Cemetery Area, Sapelo Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

On July 18, 2012 a followup surface reconnaissance was made of the suspected site of the New Orleans Cemetery on Sapelo Island, Georgia. This work supplemented the pedestrian survey made by the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Archaeological Field School on June 8, 2012. In the July 21, 2012 report for that earlier effort it was recommended that “any future survey in this [New Orleans Cemetery] area be concentrated along the eastern margin of the suspected cemetery location, which UTC did not thoroughly investigate.” This area was mentioned by Ray Crook in his description of work he had done with ...


Searching For Geechee Footprints: Plantation Research On Ossabaw Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp Jan 2012

Searching For Geechee Footprints: Plantation Research On Ossabaw Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

According to documentary records, the North End Plantation on Ossabaw Island, Georgia (9CH1062) has been occupied for over two and a half centuries. Archaeological testing and GPR survey in 2005 and 2007 demonstrated the substantial archaeological potential of the site’s various plantation occupations. However, basic spatial, temporal, and functional parameters at the North End have not been fully established. By focusing on the Geechee components, a 2011 archaeological survey resulted in an overall model of the site’s structure through time. Besides discussing the survey results, this paper examines the efficacy of the survey strategy used for identifying plantation ...


Community-Based Mortuary Archaeology On Sapelo Island, Georgia, Lindsey Cochran, Nicholas Honerkamp, Ray Crook Jan 2011

Community-Based Mortuary Archaeology On Sapelo Island, Georgia, Lindsey Cochran, Nicholas Honerkamp, Ray Crook

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

“We can’t swing a shovel without waking someone up.” This quote from a Geechee resident of Sapelo Island, Georgia expresses her distress about an ongoing problem at Sapelo’s Behavior Cemetery: the presence of unmarked graves and disturbances to them from recently dug graves. It also provided the impetus for a communitydriven program of mortuary archaeological research focusing on (1) discovering the spatial and temporal parameters of a 19th century slave site within the Cemetery parcel; (2) recording all extant grave markers in the cemetery and making this information accessible; and (3) identifying the presence of unmarked graves through ...


Defining Frame Slave Cabins At The Thomas Spalding Plantation, Sapelo Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp Jan 2010

Defining Frame Slave Cabins At The Thomas Spalding Plantation, Sapelo Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Two field seasons of survey-level research at the Spalding Plantation on Sapelo Island, Georgia have been devoted to locating wood frame slave cabins. Shown on an 1857 map, these structures are difficult to recognize archaeologically due to the scarcity of definitive architectural remains; in essence, no foundation elements survive when wooden frame cabins are set on blocks of wood, tabby, or brick that are robbed after the cabins are abandoned. However, indirect evidence for the presence of cabins may take the form of nail distributions that occur in an inversely spatial relationship with secondary refuse discard at this site: nails ...


Architecture, Settlement Structure, And Labor Relations At Three Antebellum Plantations On Sapelo Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp, Ray Crook Jan 2009

Architecture, Settlement Structure, And Labor Relations At Three Antebellum Plantations On Sapelo Island, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp, Ray Crook

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Research at three antebellum plantations on Sapelo Island, Georgia indicates a wide variety in Geechee settlement forms, construction techniques and materials, and architectural artifacts associated with structures. Based on documentary and archaeological data, two contrasting forms of settlement patterning are described that correlate with distinct labor relations at individual plantations. Significant slave cabin construction changes over a 60 year period are presented that resulted from either coercion or choice. Finally, archaeological manifestations of slave cabin details (windows and tabby plaster) are described and related to status differences between planter and slave.


Archaeological Survey And Testing At High Point Plantation (9mc66), Sapelo Island, Georgia, Honerkamp Nicholas Aug 2008

Archaeological Survey And Testing At High Point Plantation (9mc66), Sapelo Island, Georgia, Honerkamp Nicholas

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

High Point Plantation (9MC66), located on the north end of Sapelo Island (Figure 1), has a complex and intriguing history. This site also possesses a certain element of archaeological ambiguity concerning its nature, and even its location. A primary purpose of the survey and testing program carried out at High Point by the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga during the summer of 2007 was to substantially reduce, if not eliminate, many of these uncertainties. As summarized below, this goal has largely been achieved. Additionally, it has simultaneously been possible to provide the project sponsor—the Georgia Department of Natural Resources ...


An Archaeological Survey Of The Brainerd Mission Cemetery, Krista Jordan-Greene, James N. Greene, Nicholas Honerkamp Jul 2008

An Archaeological Survey Of The Brainerd Mission Cemetery, Krista Jordan-Greene, James N. Greene, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

The Brainerd Mission Cemetery (40HA128) was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1979. The cemetery is all that visibly remains of the Brainerd Mission for Cherokee Indians. Christian missionaries converted and educated Cherokee students until the tragic Trail of Tears in 1838. Today the cemetery is preserved on a one acre complex surrounded by parking lots, roads, and commercial establishments of the Eastgate Shopping Mall and Brainerd Village. The City of Chattanooga acquired the green space and parking lot north and east of the cemetery for future interpretive and educational initiatives. The Jeffery L. Brown Institute of ...


Working Plantations On Sapelo Island : High Point Versus Chocolate, Nicholas Honerkamp Jan 2006

Working Plantations On Sapelo Island : High Point Versus Chocolate, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Back-to-back archaeological surveys on Sapelo Island, Georgia by the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga have concentrated on two sites: a substantial, intensively occupied plantation dating primarily to the first half of the 19th century (Chocolate) and an earlier, sporadically occupied operation that included a short-lived French component (High Point). This paper compares the archaeological manifestations of slave occupations at both sites and identifies distinct material contrasts between the slave assemblages. It is primarily in terms of architectural and ceramic characteristics that different living conditions for the two groups are most clearly indicated.


Archaeological Testing At The Doak Site (40gn257): The 2005 Season, Nicholas Honerkamp Dec 2005

Archaeological Testing At The Doak Site (40gn257): The 2005 Season, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

In May and June of 2005, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) Archaeological Field School carried out secondary testing excavations at the Doak Site (40GN257), located on the campus of Tusculum College in Greeneville, Tennessee. The purpose of this project was to follow up on previous research completed in 2003 and 2004, as outlined in site reports, papers, and a journal publication (Honerkamp 2003, 2004, 2005). This literature describes a phased survey and testing program at the site of the extant plantation home of Samuel Witherspoon Doak. Built about 1830, his substantial two-story brick manor, adhering to a modified ...


Archaeological Monitoring Of Construction Of The Tennessee Riverpark, R. Bruce Council Jul 2005

Archaeological Monitoring Of Construction Of The Tennessee Riverpark, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Archaeological monitoring of construction of the "Millenium" segment of the Tennessee Riverpark development was conducted between April 2002 and May 2005. A small number of closed-context features were exposed and documented during the monitoring. Three human interments and one small firepit were recorded. The great majority of the route of the Riverpark contained no significant archaeological features or deposits. Significant portions of the route of the walkway traversed severely modified terrain including capped landfills, roadway shoulders and redeposited fills. Previously-recorded historic and prehistoric sites near the Amnicola Marsh had been seriously disturbed during creation of the Centre South Industrial Riverport ...


The "Deserving Poor" In Colonial Georgia : Elite And Non-Elite Domestic Sites At Fort Frederica, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp Jan 2005

The "Deserving Poor" In Colonial Georgia : Elite And Non-Elite Domestic Sites At Fort Frederica, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Social differences at domestic sites in the fortified town of Frederica (1736-1750) are explored through comparisons of architecture type and location, refuse disposal practices, selected artifacts, and dietary data. Based on archival-based Relative Economic Position, three sites representing three social strata at Frederica are used for these comparisons. The results of this analysis serve as a starting point for future testing at British colonial sites possessing similar social and temporal parameters.


Archaeological Testing At The Doak House And Academy, Greeneville, Tennessee, Nicholas Honerkamp Oct 2004

Archaeological Testing At The Doak House And Academy, Greeneville, Tennessee, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

In May and June of 2004, the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) summer archaeological field school carried out systematic testing at the Doak House Museum, an extant antebellum structure in Greeneville, Tennessee. This testing program was predicated on the previous summer’s research, which resulted in the discovery of significant archaeological remains in the project area (Honerkamp 2003, 2004). Located on the campus of Tusculum College, the house was built about 1830 by the Reverend Samuel W. Doak, the founder of the College. Doak was a minister, educator and successful planter and landowner who apparently did not possess slaves ...


A Preliminary Archaeological Survey Of The Spencer Marsh House, Walker County, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp Jun 2004

A Preliminary Archaeological Survey Of The Spencer Marsh House, Walker County, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

In April, 2004, Erin May of Preservation Studio South contacted the author concerning an architectural assessment and rehabilitation of the historic Spencer Marsh House in Lafayette, Walker County, Georgia. As part of their project, Ms. May and lead architect Andy Smith were interested in establishing the archaeological context of the surrounding yard at this site, and they requested input from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Institute of Archaeology. After visiting the site, it was decided that the UTC Archaeological Field School would conduct a preliminary survey of a portion of the yard during the first week of May. Fieldwork ...


A Documentary Overview Of The Proposed University Of Tennessee At Chattanooga Greenway, R. Bruce Council Nov 2003

A Documentary Overview Of The Proposed University Of Tennessee At Chattanooga Greenway, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

The proposed greenway through the campus of the University of Tennessee does not intercept, nor closely approach any recorded archaeological sites listed with the Tennessee Division of Archaeology. The route of the greenway closely follows a railroad grade cut originally constructed in 1856-58 by the East Tennessee and Georgia Railroad. The right-of-way was also maintained by the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad and its successor, the Southern Railway. The right-of-way of this grade cut was originally 66 feet in width, but was enlarged to 80 feet and more during the late 1800s. The right-of-way housed a double track branch ...


Landscape Archaeology At The Doak House, Nicholas Honerkamp Sep 2003

Landscape Archaeology At The Doak House, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

The Doak House Museum is housed in an impressive brick structure located on the campus of Tusculum College in Greene County, Tennessee. Built about 1829-30, this large two-story mansion was owned until the mid-1970s by descendents of the Samuel W. Doak family, the original occupants. Doak was a minister and pioneer educator in east Tennessee who, with his father, established Tusculum Academy (later College) in 1818 (Fuhrmann 1986:43). Samuel W. Doak built a second academy adjacent to his residence in 1835; oral tradition has it that this restored wooden building sits on its original limestone foundations (George Collins: personal ...


Identification Of Historic Burials At The Nabors Family Cemetery, Dade County, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp Jul 2002

Identification Of Historic Burials At The Nabors Family Cemetery, Dade County, Georgia, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

As part of a Request for a Permit to Disinter/Reinter Human Remains at the Nabors family cemetery in Dade County, Georgia, the Stein Construction Company contracted with the author for archaeological services in order to identify the presence of historic burials. The cemetery is located off Old Wauhatchee Pike, just below the Hamilton County Tennessee/Dade County, Georgia state line. A parcel of land surrounding the cemetery area is currently being cleared and graded by Stein, and will be the site of a large warehouse complex. The project area is bounded on the north by Conagra Food Services property ...


A Phase I Archaeological Survey Of A Parcel At The Southeast Corner Of Cowart And West Thirteenth Street Chattanooga, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council May 2002

A Phase I Archaeological Survey Of A Parcel At The Southeast Corner Of Cowart And West Thirteenth Street Chattanooga, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

In response to a request by the Union Planters Bank of Chattanooga, Tennessee, the Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, conducted a Phase I archaeological survey of a parcel of land situated at the southeast corner of Cowart and West Thirteenth Streets in the downtown area of Chattanooga. The purpose of the survey was to determine if archaeological resources potentially eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places were present on the parcel, consonant with provisions of Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act. Documentary research on the property was limited to ...


Archaeological Monitoring At The Citico Site, 40ha65, Chattanooga, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council, Nicholas Honerkamp Dec 2001

Archaeological Monitoring At The Citico Site, 40ha65, Chattanooga, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

This report documents archaeological monitoring activities carried out for one day in December of 2001 at the Citico Site, 40HA65, under the direction of Nicholas Honerkamp. The monitoring was in conjunction with construction work at the location of the former Sandbar restaurant. Demolition of the foundations of the former structure had revealed a high vertical profile that contained two prehistoric burial pits beneath a midden stratum. Honerkamp had noticed the presence of the burials and reported them to the Hamilton County Medical Examiner's Office on Wednesday, November 28. Thomas Bodkin of that office met with Honerkamp at the site ...


"Large Quantities Had To Be Marked For Disposal" : An Artifact Inventory Of Shiner's Trench, Fort Frederica National Monument, Nicholas Honerkamp Jun 2001

"Large Quantities Had To Be Marked For Disposal" : An Artifact Inventory Of Shiner's Trench, Fort Frederica National Monument, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

This report presents the results of inventory and analysis of artifacts associated with Shiner's Trench, Fort Frederica National Monument, St. Simons Island, Georgia. The inventory and analysis was conducted by two students enrolled in an independent studies laboratory course during the spring of 2000 (170 hours) and two student-interns (480 hours) during the following summer. The internships were part of a W ASO Archaeology and Ethnography Program. About 20 hours of data input student assistance also occurred during the fall of 2000. The analysis was performed at the Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology laboratory at the University of ...


Archaeological Survey And Testing Of The Proposed Riverpark Extensions On Synair Corporations, City Of Chattanooga, And Nk Lawn And Garden Properties, Chattanooga, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council, Nicholas Honerkamp May 2001

Archaeological Survey And Testing Of The Proposed Riverpark Extensions On Synair Corporations, City Of Chattanooga, And Nk Lawn And Garden Properties, Chattanooga, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

In response to a request by Ross-Fowler, P.C., of Knoxville, the lead planning agency in the proposed extension of the Tennessee Riverpark, the Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (hereafter "the Institute) completed fieldwork associated with a Phase I survey and Phase II secondary testing at two localities in Chattanooga that will be impacted by proposed extensions to the Tennessee Riverpark. The Institute conducted a Phase I survey of a 1600'/490m linear corridor through properties of the Synair Corporation and a City of Chattanooga tract, and a Phase II secondary testing ...


Gender, Family Composition, And Social Mobility At Fort Frederica, Georgia, 1736 - C. 1750, Nicholas Honerkamp Jan 2000

Gender, Family Composition, And Social Mobility At Fort Frederica, Georgia, 1736 - C. 1750, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

More complete documentary information on the identity of residents of the British colonial town of Frederica has allowed revised interpretations of the archaeological record there. Two tightly controlled excavations in the town reveal contrasts in site structure, refuse disposal practices, faunal remains, and material culture from 1736-c. 1750. The Hird site, dating from 1736 to 1748, was occupied by a husband, wife, and their three children (a son and two daughters); the Forrester site, c. 1742-1754, is attributed to a (presumably) solitary adult male. This paper explores the possible gender, family composition, and social mobility dimensions of the archaeological contrasts ...


A Cultural Resource Overview Of The Proposed Riverpark Extension, Rowing Center Segment To Fishing Park Segment, R. Bruce Council May 1999

A Cultural Resource Overview Of The Proposed Riverpark Extension, Rowing Center Segment To Fishing Park Segment, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

In response to a request by Ross/Fowler of Knoxville, the Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga prepared a technical proposal and budget for a cultural resources overview of a proposed extension of the Tennessee Riverpark from the Rowing Center to the Fishing Park at the C. B. Robinson Bridge. The purpose of this overview is to identify the existing, recorded archaeological resources within the project impact area; to estimate the potential for unrecorded archaeological sites in the vicinity; and to discuss historic land uses, cultural sensitivity factors and interpretive possibilities for purposes of conceptual planning of the ...


An Archaeological Survey Of A Proposed Barge Unloading Facility, Trm 463.6r, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council, Nicholas Honerkamp Mar 1999

An Archaeological Survey Of A Proposed Barge Unloading Facility, Trm 463.6r, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

The Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, conducted a Phase I archaeological survey on a 3.76 acre parcel on the right bank of the Tennessee River at or about log mile 463.6 in Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee. The project sponsor was JIT Terminals, Inc. Construction of a barge unloading terminal was in progress when the testing program was initiated, and only half of the total affected acreage could be tested. A total of seven backhoe search trenches were excavated: three 20m long trenches were excavated across the crest of the T1 river levee ...


A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee : Broad To Chestnut, Twelfth To Thirteenth Streets, R. Bruce Council May 1998

A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee : Broad To Chestnut, Twelfth To Thirteenth Streets, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

At the request of the Cultural Resources Program of the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, has prepared this brief documentary survey of a one-block parcel in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. The purpose of the research is to define potential targets for detailed historical research and archaeological testing within a parcel owned by the Tennessee Valley Authority. The project area is bounded on the west by Chestnut Street, on the east by Broad Street, on the south by Thirteenth Street, and on the north by Twelfth. This document does not represent an ...


Photographic Documentation Of The Tva Haney Building Parcel : A Supplement To A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee: Broad To Chestnut, Third To Fourth Streets, R. Bruce Council May 1998

Photographic Documentation Of The Tva Haney Building Parcel : A Supplement To A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee: Broad To Chestnut, Third To Fourth Streets, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

The Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, has prepared this photographic documentation of the Haney Building in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee, at the request of the Cultural Resources Program of the Tennessee Valley Authority. This documentation is being done to comply with review procedures in Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act as codified at 36 CFR 800 (51 FR 31115, September 2, 1986).


A Report On Archaeological Monitoring Of The Ross-Meehan Property, Finley Stadium, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council Jan 1998

A Report On Archaeological Monitoring Of The Ross-Meehan Property, Finley Stadium, Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Archaeological monitoring of below-grade construction and grading activities at the site of Finley Stadium in Chattanooga, Tennessee, was undertaken by the Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, on behalf of the Stadium Corporation, Chattanooga. Situated on a 35-acre tract bounded more or less by Main Street, Chestnut Street, 20th Street/Riverfront Parkway, U.S. 27 and Carter Street, the project area was impacted by the construction of parking lots funded in part by federal ISTEA funds. Excavation of the bowl housing the below-street-grade playing field of the stadium was not part of the impact area ...


Shiner's Trench : Recycling The Archaeological Record At Fort Frederica, Nicholas Honerkamp Jan 1998

Shiner's Trench : Recycling The Archaeological Record At Fort Frederica, Nicholas Honerkamp

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

Transforming a sow’s ear into a silk purse, a unique educational program has been instituted at Fort Frederica National Monument through the combined efforts of the National Park Service and the Glynn County (Georgia) School System. Following the discovery of a modern trench backfilled with colonial artifacts from previous excavations at Frederica, the National Park Service developed an educational program highlighting colonial archaeology for Glynn County fourth grade students and their teachers. The program consists of a training workshop for teachers, one day of excavation by each class, artifact analysis in the classroom, and student-designed artifact displays. The trench ...


A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee : Chestnut To Fort, Twelfth To Thirteenth Streets, R. Bruce Council Oct 1997

A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee : Chestnut To Fort, Twelfth To Thirteenth Streets, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

At the request of the Cultural Resources Program of the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, has prepared this brief documentary survey of a one-block parcel in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. The purpose of the research is to define potential targets for detailed historical research and archaeological testing within a parcel owned by the Tennessee Valley Authority. The project area, bounded by Chestnut Street on the east, Fort Street on the west, West Twelfth Street on the north, and West Thirteenth Street on the south, is the proposed site of an expansion ...


A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee : Broad To Chestnut, Third To Fourth Streets, R. Bruce Council Aug 1997

A Documentary Survey Of A One Block Parcel In Downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee : Broad To Chestnut, Third To Fourth Streets, R. Bruce Council

Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology Reports

At the request of the Cultural Resources Program of the Tennessee Valley Authority, the Jeffrey L. Brown Institute of Archaeology, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, has prepared this brief documentary survey of a one-block parcel in downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. The purpose of the research was to define potential targets for detailed historical research and archaeological testing within a parcel owned by the Tennessee Valley Authority. The project area, bounded by Chestnut Street on the west, Broad Street on the east, Third Street on the north, and Fourth Street on the south, is currently occupied largely by the Tennessee Valley Authority ...