Articles 1 - 1 of 1
Full-Text Articles in Sports Medicine
The Efficacy Of Electrocardiograms As A Screening Tool To Detect Cardiac Abnormalities In Young Athletes, Cody William
Physician Assistant Scholarly Project Posters
• Sudden cardiac death (SCD) among athletes can be attributed to increased cardiovascular demands associated with vigorous exercise.
• The majority of athletes who experience sudden cardiac death are asymptomatic.
• Pre-participation history and physicals, (H&P) help to identify underlying cardiovascular disorders with the potential to increase the risk of SCD in an athlete.
• The efficacy of pre-participation H&Ps to identify underlying cardiac etiology has been debated.
• The purpose of this research is to:
---Determine incidence and cause of SCD among athletes (Table 1).
---Determine the efficacy and evidenced-based criteria for the interpretation of ECGs in athletes.
---Evaluate cost-effectiveness of screening ...