Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Education Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

PDF

United States History

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Czech Americans

Articles 1 - 3 of 3

Full-Text Articles in Education

District #104 - Prague, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #104 - Prague, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school house in Chester Precinct was in District No. 51 and was known as the Willow Creek School. It was a sod house and the first teacher was Miss Wheeler. She walked four miles to school and was paid $25.00 a month.

Later on District No. 84 was organized, being partly in Elk and partly in Chester Precinct. The school house was located on Martin Vanek's farm about 2½ miles southwest of the present village of Prague. The district was found to be too large so it was divided. One school was located at Vaclav Frana ...


District #113 - Cunningham, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #113 - Cunningham, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District # 113 was organized in 1892. It was named the Cunningham School for John Cunningham on whose land the original school was located. Early area settlers came from Czechoslovakia and some of the old school board minutes are written in Czech.

Students from the Kucera, Kliment, Strizek, Matousek, Hladik and Berniklau families carried their own water to the school along with their school books.


District #83 - Sunnyside, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #83 - Sunnyside, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Looking back in the records of District #83 it was interesting to note they were written in the Czech language and dated back to 1898. According to the Secretary's book the boundary shown in 1899 is almost the same as it is today. The mill levy at that time was 15 and the valuation was $15060. There were approximately 70 children up to age 21 who attended school on an ungraded system.