Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Education Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

PDF

United States History

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Country school

Articles 31 - 44 of 44

Full-Text Articles in Education

District #72 - Mead, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #72 - Mead, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

On January 23, 1875 Mead School, District No. 95 was formed and included Sections 25, 26, 27, 34, 35 and 36. At the annual meeting in 1876 the board voted to build a school house 18' x 36'. At a special meeting bonds were approved in the amount of $600.00 to build and furnish. the school. However the County Clerk informed them that according to law they could not vote a bond of more than $380.00. So they decided to vote the $380.00 and build the schoolhouse for that 1 amount. The one-room frame building was located ...


District #74, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #74, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

In the early 1870's a sod house served as the first school for District #74. The school was given the name Happy Hollow School. The building was located on the NW¼ of Section 24, Newman Precinct. It was later moved a half mile south on a half acre of land donated by Joseph B. Bartek.

A new school with three windows on each side was built in about 1900 by carpenters, Pallat and Brabec. The first building which had two windows on each side was purchased by Joe Caha and moved to his farm one half mile south.


District #54 - Racek, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #54 - Racek, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Early records in the office of the County Superintendent show that in 1872 the director of District No. 54 was M.A. Malloy. There were 18 boys and 18 girls enrolled with Mary Fleming, teacher. She received a salary of $25.00 a month for the 4 month term. In 1873, the length of term was increased to 5½ months and the salary was $26.00. Census showed 46 children, age 5 - 21.


District #118 - Rock Creek Center, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #118 - Rock Creek Center, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District #118 was formed April 1, 1905, detaching from Dist. #40. The schoolhouse was built on the Anton Jelinek farm on the SW corner of Section 15, township 13, Range 6 in Rock Creek precinct.

The first school term began November 26, 1906 with 35 pupils ranging in age from 5 - 18 and offering grades 1-7. Some pupils attended only 27 days with a high attendance of 112 days. The teacher was Sadie Ethell. The school term ended M"ay 24, 1907. The school board members were G. L. Lambert, Joseph Bouc and J. J. Wondra. The school teacher ...


Bishop Neumann H.S., Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

Bishop Neumann H.S., Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The beginnings of Neumann High School go far back into the history of the Catholic Church in the Wahoo area. However, in June of 1959 Bishop James V. Casey strongly urged the pastors of the Wahoo Deanery to consider establishing a central high school to serve the area, On April 30, 1960 a letter was sent from the pastors to Bishop Casey expressing a commitment to initiate this program. This was a momentous decision.


District #119 - Otoe Creek, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #119 - Otoe Creek, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

On January 12, 1960 a petition was organized to merge District #33 and District #46. District #46 was known as Otoe Creek School because of its location on the south bank of Otoe Creek on Highway 77. The petition was voted on and passed that as of April 29, 1960 Districts #33 and #46 shall be known as Otoe Creek School District No. 119.


St. John's Catholic School - Weston, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

St. John's Catholic School - Weston, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The construction of St. John's School in Weston was begun in 1954 with the approval of Bishop Louis B. Kucera of Lincoln. Rev. Otto M. Ekhaml was the pastor of St. John's Church at that time. The building consists of a one-story concrete, brick veneer structure having five classrooms, library, office, gymnasium and a convent. The additional rooms in the basement are used as meeting rooms.


St. Wenceslaus Elementary, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

St. Wenceslaus Elementary, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

St. Wenceslaus School has served the community at Wahoo for over 65 years. Records dated back to 1920 indicate it was staffed by the Benedictine Sisters for 13 years. During the early years it encompassed grades one through ten. The Sisters lived in the school, and students were allowed to board there.


District #11 - Platteville, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #11 - Platteville, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school in Saunders County, according to several area residents, was a dug-out near the bluff - not too far from Brickyard Hill. Though there probably were not districts at that time, the site of this little lean-to dug out of the bluff is on the present District #11 land, and could be considered the forerunner of today's Platteville School.


District #91 - Riverside, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #91 - Riverside, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

According to reports in the office of the County Superintendent, the first record of school district #91 is in 1878. The director was Mr. E.D. Malloy whose post office address was Sand Creek. There were 17 pupils in attendance. The number of days taught was 120. The first school census was filed by Mr. F. Ranslem in 1888 and showed 23 families in the district.


District #23, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #23, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Standard School, more familiarly known to its parents as Rural Elementary District No. 23 is located in the NE corner of the NW¼ of Section 23-15-7. Prior to the autumn of 1871 very few distinct district records were kept in the County Superintendent's office, but it appears that District No. 23 was not always in its present location but had its inception in the NW¼ NE¼ of Section 26-15-7.


District #61 - Happy Hollow, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #61 - Happy Hollow, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Happy Hollow School District #61 is located three miles south and two miles west of Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska.

The school never had a well, so the pupils took turns going to the farm of Christian Peterson who lived a short distance east of the school. Everyone wanted to go after the water, so to solve any argument the teacher had them take turns. So there was never a problem of not having water.


District #111 - Touhy, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #111 - Touhy, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District No. 111 was organized in 1892 with Miss Nellie Throop, 16 as the first teacher. The school was located across the road from where it stands now. It was moved to its present location in the early 1900's.


District #14 - Morse Bluff, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #14 - Morse Bluff, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Morse Bluff, District No. 14 was formed in 1869. The first school building was located south of the present building and accommodated students through the 8th grade.