Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Education Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Articles 1 - 30 of 117

Full-Text Articles in Education

A Half-Century Of Nebraska Education, Theodore Degner Jan 2018

A Half-Century Of Nebraska Education, Theodore Degner

Undergraduate Research Journal

The pioneers’ journey across Nebraska was rough and ever changing, and the same can be said for the educating of Nebraskans on the state’s history. Since the centennial of Nebraska statehood in 1967, changes to the education of Nebraska history has made students metaphorically traverse over both rough, hilly topics and flat, grassy lessons. These changes can be seen by examining sources from various Nebraska schools dating back to the 1960s. The variety and pace of Nebraska history curriculum change throughout these schools is wild and varied, with periods of little changes between the decades to overarching changes in ...


Dist. #49, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Dist. #49, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on District 49 in Boone County, Nebraska, located east of Albion. Additional images are available.


Goose Valley School - Dist. #112, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Goose Valley School - Dist. #112, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on the Goose Valley School, originally located 3 miles northeast of Berwyn in Custer County, Nebraska. It was moved Tomahawk Park in Broken Bow, NE. Includes printed information on the school and several news articles related to it. It is commonly referred to as "The Little Red School-House".


Belmont School - Dist. #39, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Belmont School - Dist. #39, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Belmont School, located on the south edge of Belmont, 10 miles south of Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska.


Reed School - Dist. #55, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Reed School - Dist. #55, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Reed School, now located on the grounds of the Dawson County Historical Society in Lexington, Nebraska. Includes a history of the building's move to the Historical Society.


Horseshoe Bend - Dist. #25, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Horseshoe Bend - Dist. #25, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Horseshoe Bend School, located five miles northeast of Lexington in Dawson County, Nebraska.


Dist. #83, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Dist. #83, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on District #83, located 7 miles north and 1/2 mile west of Elm Creek in Buffalo County, Nebraska.


Island Grove, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Island Grove, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Island Grove (or Garden Grove) school, located 2 miles north and 1/2 mile west from Liberty in Gage County, Nebraska. Also includes notes on an earlier school called Frog Pond School.


Marsland - Dist. #92, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Marsland - Dist. #92, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Marsland School, which sits on the northwest edge of the small town of Marsland, in Dawes County, Nebraska.


Corn Valley - Dist. #60, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Corn Valley - Dist. #60, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Corn Valley School, four miles south of Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska.


Horn School - Dist. #28, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Horn School - Dist. #28, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Horn School, also called Valley Star School, located about 10 miles northwest of Crawford in Dawes County, Nebraska.


Lockett School - Dist. #11, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 2000

Lockett School - Dist. #11, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on the Lockett School, now located on the Chadron State College Campus in Chadron, Nebraska.


Mt. Pleasant - Dist. # 17, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 1980

Mt. Pleasant - Dist. # 17, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Mt. Pleasant, District 17. Building is located in Sheridan County, Nebraska. Additional pictures of the school are available as the second and third additional files.


District #1 - Ashland, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #1 - Ashland, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

History of schools in Ashland, Nebraska.


District #5, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #5, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

District #5 was organized north of Ashland in 1869. It included several sections in Township 13, Range 9.


District #20 - Wann, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #20 - Wann, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first seven or eight pioneer families, about whom we have already written, realized that there were two elements which are very important to the life and endurance of any enterprise. They are religious worship and education. To carry out these major projects, a school house was built about one half mile east and about one mile north of the present location. Here began the education of the pioneer children. It was here that these seven families met for worship. Realizing the need for a better place of worship they decided to take up a collection for the building of ...


District #19 - Elmwood, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #19 - Elmwood, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Many difficulties faced the early settlers when they began establishing schools. Some early school board meetings were recorded in both English and Czech. Records show that although most of the early families were of Czech descent, the early teachers, mostly male, were not.


District #18 - Mt. Zion, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #18 - Mt. Zion, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school term in District #18 was in 1893. There were twenty pupils taught by Newton A. House. The term was from April 10 to June 2.


District #9 - Yutan, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #9 - Yutan, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first schoolhouse was built in 1876, a two-room frame structure accommodating eight grades. It expanded over time, adding high school curricula in 1916.


District #24, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #24, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District #24 held its first class in 1879, records indicating that 50 students registered, but attendance was poor. The original one room structure (exact size unknown) was located in the same place as our present building, the latter having been completed on October 15, 1888.


District #31 - Ceresco, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #31 - Ceresco, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school for Ceresco, District #31 was a one-room building erected in the summer of 1872 across the road from the Hunter farm where the Edwin Frasier family now live. Mrs. John Riddle was the first teacher, followed by Nina Flore and Florence Hillman. Mrs. Ira Nelson boarded the teacher until the town was moved.


District #27, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #27, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Records dating back to 1870 show that Moses Stocking was the director of District No. 27. There were 39 children in the district. The post office was Eldred.


District #36 - Malmo, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #36 - Malmo, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first building of District #36 was located about a half mile east of the present village of Malmo.

It was here the children of the early settlers of the district began their education and drank water from a flowing spring on the bank of nearby Cottonwood Creek.


District #105 - Staats, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #105 - Staats, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

District No. 105 was organized on October 5, 1880. It consisted of the North half of Sections 16 and 17, all of Sections 4, 5, 8, 9, Township 16, Range 8. The boundaries have been changed at various times.

When it was first organized the district was known as the Staats School. Some of the early pupils were Minnie, Sadie, Ralph, Clarence. George. Harry and Jennie Scott; Will, Lou, George, Lulu, Anna, Lena, Max and Jake Warner. Also among many others were Emma and Hattie Staats.


District #107 - Cedar Bluff, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #107 - Cedar Bluff, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school house for District 107, Cedar Bluffs, was built on the Knapp farm one-half mile north and 3/4 mile east of Cedar Bluffs. It was just a claim shanty.

In 1870 a building was purchased from Mr. Cowan on the Knapp property. It was moved to the farm of John Scheer northwest of town.


District #110 - Memphis, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #110 - Memphis, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The Memphis School. District #110 was formed in 1891. The land organized to form this district was formerly a part of Districts #3, #5 and #6. The same year the first school building, a one-room structure was erected just west of the present location. The members of the first school board selected Mr. Ed Cullen as the first school teacher and gave him a salary of $25.00 per month.


District #101 - Valparaiso, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #101 - Valparaiso, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first public school in Valparaiso was established on Section 22, upon the land of Andrew Johnson, who with the assistance of R. K. Johnson, built a frame schoolhouse. The school was opened in the winter of 1868-69 with Miss Adeline States, later Mrs. C. Johnson as the teacher. Mrs. Johnson taught but a short time, and was succeeded by J. K. Van Demark. The district included the entire precinct and the school board consisted of Andrew Johnson, director; Rev. George Worley, moderator; and R. K. Johnson, treasurer. This building was also used for a Union Sunday School and church ...


District #103 - Weston, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #103 - Weston, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

During the years of 1870 or 1871 a sod school was located on the Frank Staat' s Homestead. The furniture consisted of benches for the teacher and the children.

In 1874 the Bell or Plato School was built. It was located on the south end of Section 5, Township 14, Range 6 East. The interior was lined with siding. The furniture consisted of planks on nail kegs and a wood burning stove. Mr. John L. Coleman taught for a salary of $25. 00 per month.


District #104 - Prague, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #104 - Prague, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school house in Chester Precinct was in District No. 51 and was known as the Willow Creek School. It was a sod house and the first teacher was Miss Wheeler. She walked four miles to school and was paid $25.00 a month.

Later on District No. 84 was organized, being partly in Elk and partly in Chester Precinct. The school house was located on Martin Vanek's farm about 2½ miles southwest of the present village of Prague. The district was found to be too large so it was divided. One school was located at Vaclav Frana ...


District #115 - North Star, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #115 - North Star, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Early records in the office of the County Superintendent show that the first school census from District #115 was recorded in 1894 by J. A. White, director. The census showed 9 families in the district.

The first school report on file is dated 1898 filed by J. A White, director with Jesse M. Galloway, County Superintendent. The report shows 32 children attending school