Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

History Commons

Open Access. Powered by Scholars. Published by Universities.®

Articles 1 - 30 of 47

Full-Text Articles in History

A Half-Century Of Nebraska Education, Theodore Degner Jan 2018

A Half-Century Of Nebraska Education, Theodore Degner

Undergraduate Research Journal

The pioneers’ journey across Nebraska was rough and ever changing, and the same can be said for the educating of Nebraskans on the state’s history. Since the centennial of Nebraska statehood in 1967, changes to the education of Nebraska history has made students metaphorically traverse over both rough, hilly topics and flat, grassy lessons. These changes can be seen by examining sources from various Nebraska schools dating back to the 1960s. The variety and pace of Nebraska history curriculum change throughout these schools is wild and varied, with periods of little changes between the decades to overarching changes in ...


Mt. Pleasant, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier Jan 1980

Mt. Pleasant, Country School Legacy: Humanities On The Frontier

School Buildings

Information on Mt. Pleasant, District 17. Building is located in Sheridan County, Nebraska.


District #1 - Ashland, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #1 - Ashland, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

History of schools in Ashland, Nebraska.


District #5, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #5, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

District #5 was organized north of Ashland in 1869. It included several sections in Township 13, Range 9.


District #20 - Wann, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #20 - Wann, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first seven or eight pioneer families, about whom we have already written, realized that there were two elements which are very important to the life and endurance of any enterprise. They are religious worship and education. To carry out these major projects, a school house was built about one half mile east and about one mile north of the present location. Here began the education of the pioneer children. It was here that these seven families met for worship. Realizing the need for a better place of worship they decided to take up a collection for the building of ...


District #19 - Elmwood, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #19 - Elmwood, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Many difficulties faced the early settlers when they began establishing schools. Some early school board meetings were recorded in both English and Czech. Records show that although most of the early families were of Czech descent, the early teachers, mostly male, were not.


District #18 - Mt. Zion, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #18 - Mt. Zion, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school term in District #18 was in 1893. There were twenty pupils taught by Newton A. House. The term was from April 10 to June 2.


District #9 - Yutan, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #9 - Yutan, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first schoolhouse was built in 1876, a two-room frame structure accommodating eight grades. It expanded over time, adding high school curricula in 1916.


District #24, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #24, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District #24 held its first class in 1879, records indicating that 50 students registered, but attendance was poor. The original one room structure (exact size unknown) was located in the same place as our present building, the latter having been completed on October 15, 1888.


District #31 - Ceresco, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #31 - Ceresco, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school for Ceresco, District #31 was a one-room building erected in the summer of 1872 across the road from the Hunter farm where the Edwin Frasier family now live. Mrs. John Riddle was the first teacher, followed by Nina Flore and Florence Hillman. Mrs. Ira Nelson boarded the teacher until the town was moved.


District #27, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #27, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Records dating back to 1870 show that Moses Stocking was the director of District No. 27. There were 39 children in the district. The post office was Eldred.


District #36 - Malmo, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #36 - Malmo, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first building of District #36 was located about a half mile east of the present village of Malmo.

It was here the children of the early settlers of the district began their education and drank water from a flowing spring on the bank of nearby Cottonwood Creek.


District #105 - Staats, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #105 - Staats, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

District No. 105 was organized on October 5, 1880. It consisted of the North half of Sections 16 and 17, all of Sections 4, 5, 8, 9, Township 16, Range 8. The boundaries have been changed at various times.

When it was first organized the district was known as the Staats School. Some of the early pupils were Minnie, Sadie, Ralph, Clarence. George. Harry and Jennie Scott; Will, Lou, George, Lulu, Anna, Lena, Max and Jake Warner. Also among many others were Emma and Hattie Staats.


District #107 - Cedar Bluff, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #107 - Cedar Bluff, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school house for District 107, Cedar Bluffs, was built on the Knapp farm one-half mile north and 3/4 mile east of Cedar Bluffs. It was just a claim shanty.

In 1870 a building was purchased from Mr. Cowan on the Knapp property. It was moved to the farm of John Scheer northwest of town.


District #110 - Memphis, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #110 - Memphis, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The Memphis School. District #110 was formed in 1891. The land organized to form this district was formerly a part of Districts #3, #5 and #6. The same year the first school building, a one-room structure was erected just west of the present location. The members of the first school board selected Mr. Ed Cullen as the first school teacher and gave him a salary of $25.00 per month.


District #101 - Valparaiso, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #101 - Valparaiso, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first public school in Valparaiso was established on Section 22, upon the land of Andrew Johnson, who with the assistance of R. K. Johnson, built a frame schoolhouse. The school was opened in the winter of 1868-69 with Miss Adeline States, later Mrs. C. Johnson as the teacher. Mrs. Johnson taught but a short time, and was succeeded by J. K. Van Demark. The district included the entire precinct and the school board consisted of Andrew Johnson, director; Rev. George Worley, moderator; and R. K. Johnson, treasurer. This building was also used for a Union Sunday School and church ...


District #103 - Weston, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #103 - Weston, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

During the years of 1870 or 1871 a sod school was located on the Frank Staat' s Homestead. The furniture consisted of benches for the teacher and the children.

In 1874 the Bell or Plato School was built. It was located on the south end of Section 5, Township 14, Range 6 East. The interior was lined with siding. The furniture consisted of planks on nail kegs and a wood burning stove. Mr. John L. Coleman taught for a salary of $25. 00 per month.


District #104 - Prague, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #104 - Prague, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school house in Chester Precinct was in District No. 51 and was known as the Willow Creek School. It was a sod house and the first teacher was Miss Wheeler. She walked four miles to school and was paid $25.00 a month.

Later on District No. 84 was organized, being partly in Elk and partly in Chester Precinct. The school house was located on Martin Vanek's farm about 2½ miles southwest of the present village of Prague. The district was found to be too large so it was divided. One school was located at Vaclav Frana ...


District #115 - North Star, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #115 - North Star, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Early records in the office of the County Superintendent show that the first school census from District #115 was recorded in 1894 by J. A. White, director. The census showed 9 families in the district.

The first school report on file is dated 1898 filed by J. A White, director with Jesse M. Galloway, County Superintendent. The report shows 32 children attending school


District #117 - Colon, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #117 - Colon, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District No. 117 was formed on December 6, 1901. It consisted of all of Sections 3, Township 15, Range 7, the West half of Section 2, Township 15, Range 7 and the North half of the Southeast quarter of Section 4, Township 15, Range 7. Jesse M. Galloway was the County Superintendent.

A report filed by Henry Peterson, director in 1901 showed 53 children on the school census.


District #113 - Cunningham, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #113 - Cunningham, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District # 113 was organized in 1892. It was named the Cunningham School for John Cunningham on whose land the original school was located. Early area settlers came from Czechoslovakia and some of the old school board minutes are written in Czech.

Students from the Kucera, Kliment, Strizek, Matousek, Hladik and Berniklau families carried their own water to the school along with their school books.


District #83 - Sunnyside, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #83 - Sunnyside, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Looking back in the records of District #83 it was interesting to note they were written in the Czech language and dated back to 1898. According to the Secretary's book the boundary shown in 1899 is almost the same as it is today. The mill levy at that time was 15 and the valuation was $15060. There were approximately 70 children up to age 21 who attended school on an ungraded system.


District #82 - Carey High, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #82 - Carey High, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

Early records indicate that a small one room school was painstakingly raised before the turn of the century, in 1876, which was 9 years after Nebraska attained statehood. The land had been plotted and arranged in districts, each serving its own community needs.

That first year 60 students were enrolled, ranging in age from 5 to 20.

It sometimes took two decades to complete requirements for a grade school (sometimes called grammar school) education, as school was held on a "come when you are able" basis.


District #87, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #87, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

A small white frame building known as District #8 7 opened its doors September 1, 1886 to the children of this Czech community two miles west and one-half mile south of Wahoo, Nebraska. One wonders how this small structure accommodated the attendance which sometimes soared to as many as 40 or 45 children.


District #51 - Willow Creek, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #51 - Willow Creek, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

School District #51 known as "Willow Creek School" was established in 1883. The sod structure was built in the Southeast corner of the W½ of Section 14, now owned by Julius Nemec. In 1885 a frame building was erected on gratis land deeded by Jacob A. and Martha Wolfe, 500 feet East of the original site in Section 20, now owned by Leo Steinbach. The present building 4 miles North and 1 /2 mile West of Prague, Nebraska was built in 1918.


District # 81 - Oak Ridge, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District # 81 - Oak Ridge, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

District #81 was formed on March 1, 1873 and included 15 sections. On February 2, 1878 three sections were transferred to District #101. At that time the schoolhouse was located a mile north of the present one.

The first report was filed in 1873 by J.W. Vandemark. It showed 29 children in the district, 25 attending school. School was open 60 days.


District #39 - Wahoo, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #39 - Wahoo, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school in Wahoo was outside of what is now the city limits. It was a one-room building in the southwest corner of the old town, near what is known now as the Lindau farm.

The first West Ward school was also a one-room frame building on the corner of 6th and Sycamore, one block north of the Court house, facing west. This was built in the late seventies or about 1880. Shortly thereafter a second one-room brick building, still in use was built on the present site in 1903 at a cost of $8000.00.


District #50 - Ithaca, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #50 - Ithaca, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school in District #50, Ithaca was built by Elijah Dech in Section 20 of Wahoo Township. He built it on his own farm and his daughter Martha was the first teacher. When the new school was built the old schoolhouse was moved into Ithaca and remodeled for use as a home and it is still being used as a home today.


District # 75, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District # 75, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

In June of 1870 my grandfather, the late M.S. Hills homesteaded in Section 2, Township 15, Range 6 of Mariposa precinct, Saunders County. He was the first settler in the area.

The surrounding area settled rapidly. Many of the settlers were foreign born, and while they had received a good education in their native country, they could neither read nor write in the English language. Many of them could not express their ideas or thoughts in what was a foreign language to them, and they could not speak the language well enough to be understood.

It did not take ...


District #44, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County Jan 1976

District #44, Office Of The County Superintendent, Saunders County

Saunders County Bicentennial Educational History

The first school in Chapman Precinct was organized in 1869. The first meeting was held in Mr. Thomas Chapman's home. Mr. Chapman was elected director and Mr. J. D. Lehmkuhl was elected treasurer. The first schoolhouse was completed and was taught by H. N. Roger in 1870. This school was located in the middle of the section.

This section also includes information on District #32 and District #71